Friday 1 December 2017

Best Western Hotel International, Luxembourg – review written 12 September 2014

I arrived around 2100hrs, the check-in was quick, friendly and jam-packed with good news: 10% off my evening meal and a free glass of wine, not forgetting free WiFi in the room.

I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels, but this one was easily the most conveniently located. It was just across the road from the main railway station where I was due to catch a train to Brussels the following morning and let’s not forget that I’d arrived in Luxembourg by train rom Duisburg in Germany and it was great to just walk across the road rather than have to give directions to a taxi driver.

Normally, hotels and pubs near railway stations leave a lot to be desired, but that’s mainly in the UK. Here in Luxembourg it wasn’t a problem.

My top priority at gone 2100hrs was dinner and the restaurant was still open.

I found a crowd of Japanese tourists finishing their evening meal. Would I be invisible to the waiting staff, I wondered? The answer? No. This was a good hotel and so far I hadn’t been let down: free glass of wine, free WiFi, 10% off the price of the meal and, sure enough, the waiting staff knew I was there and brought over my free glass of red wine.

I ordered roasted salmon, which arrived with boiled potatoes and diced carrots. Not bad, but similar to the sort of thing I’d eat at home (or in hospital) not that I was complaining and besides, it was late and I didn’t want a rich meal full of salt and smothered in sauce so it fit the bill rather nicely.

After a second glass of wine, which I paid for, and a glass of sparkling mineral water I headed back to the room where I watched CNN (the only English speaking channel I could find) and then I did a bit of work on the computer.

The room was perfect in all respects apart from a loud air-con system, but I couldn’t be bothered to hunt around for the switch to turn it off and eventually I fell asleep and slept soundly, waking at 0730hrs.

Breakfast was also good: cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit salad and a mug of tea and I could have eaten much more as both hot and cold options were available along with croissants and rolls. I decided not to be a pig and keep things fairly light.

In short there was nothing to complain about; the check-out was as easy as the check-in and now, as I write this, I’m sitting on the 1320hrs train from Luxembourg to Brussels and because my business appointment was only five minutes’ walk from the hotel and the railway station just across the road, I didn’t incur any taxi fares. In fact I might get away without having to draw any money.


I would definitely return to this hotel and probably will in the not too distant future. As for Luxembourg, I found it to be a little boring, although in its defence, I didn’t really get enough time to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment