Friday 1 December 2017

Best Western, Leidse Square, Amsterdam – review written 8 June 2015

One thing that continues to bug me about some hotels is the way they distrust their guests; this can be seen in many different ways, but two obvious examples are coat hangers that don’t have a ‘hook’ but a device that basically makes the hanger useless to any potential thief (ie, there’s no way it can be used to ‘hang’ clothes from). The second is the empty or locked mini bar. With the latter, especially if it’s locked, I always get a distinct feeling that somebody thinks I’m not to be trusted. In other words, I’m the sort of person that would ransack the minibar and then deny I consumed any of the contents when I check out the following morning or at the end of my stay. As for coat hangers, who would be so desperate?

But outside of these two obvious markers that pinpoint the hotel in question’s distrust of its clientele, there is something else that I find just as irksome. In many ways it’s the worst of the lot and it normally happens after I’ve made a few international telephone calls. The audacity in question is normally disguised by an envelope slid quietly under my hotel room door while I’m out or asleep, but normally a day or two BEFORE I check out – an unnecessary reminder that I owe them money and they haven’t forgotten.

However, what I found absolutely infuriating and downright insulting was the phone call I received from the front desk (who must have clocked me coming into the building). As soon as I arrived in my room the phone started to ring. It’s normally quite worrying when the hotel room phone rings, especially if nobody knows where I am bar my wife. While in one sense I was relieved to hear the voice of the woman on the front desk, I soon found myself feeling very angry with what she said, which was something along the lines of “we noticed you’d made two international calls at a total cost of EUR90 and that you’re checking out tomorrow so we thought we’d let you know that we know so don’t try to walk out without paying.” I felt like saying I’ll pay it tomorrow morning when I check out, which, as far as I know, is the procedure adopted by most hotels, but it was clear that the purpose of the phone call was to get the money upfront so that the hotel was not out of pocket. I also felt like saying, “Do you think I look like the sort of person that would walk off without paying a bill?” I didn’t bother.

However, one thing it does give the hotel is a big black mark from me and a recommendation from me not to bother if you’re considering staying at the hotel (I’m sure there are better places in Amsterdam).

The room was fine, although the bathroom was a little cramped, but everything else was okay: tall windows, a fairly comfortable bed, a desk and free WiFi. Everything worked so no complaints there, but there was no restaurant, which is always a nuisance, and the breakfast was appalling and by that I mean non-descript. I had cereal, yoghurt and fresh fruit. The cereal was fine, the yoghurt as standard, but the fresh fruit was tired and unappealing to look at; I’m guessing it was from a tin.

There was also a roughness about the hotel that I didn’t like and a precarious staircase that was too steep in my opinion and not for those unsteady on their feet (not that I count myself in that number).
Like a lot of hotels it served a purpose (a bed for the night) but that attitude surrounding my phone bill jarred a bit.

In its favour – but then could I expect anything else from a hotel in Amsterdam? – it did hire out bikes for EUR15 cash, but even there they adopted the attitude of distrust. The money couldn’t be put on the room and they wanted it as soon as I got back from my ride (I had no cash when I booked the bike). Once again it felt as if they thought I was not to be trusted. I should have told them to stuff their bike where the sun didn’t shine and gone elsewhere, but again, I’m too polite.


In summary, this hotel does the job, the rooms are fine but the attitude stinks. I won’t rebook in a hurry. In fact I doubt I’ll ever go back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment