Friday 1 December 2017

Orsoyer Hof, 47495 Rheinberg, Germany – review written 11 September 2014

When I stay in a hotel I expect a front desk, an elevator, a long corridor with rooms on either side, electronic key card and, of course, a view of some sort when I draw back the net curtains and take a look outside. It’s nice to be at least five floors up and it’s good to know that, somewhere below me I’ll find a decent restaurant.

I’ve never liked a hotel room with direct access to the outside world and I can’t stand being on the ground floor, like American motels in movies like Psycho.

So I find myself on the outskirts of Rheinberg in a small and sleepy village. I’m booked into the Orsoyer Hof. Room three is effectively is on ground level facing a small field populated by some sheep and a few apple trees. It is accessed from street level by a single flight of slightly precarious stairs.

This is a pub hotel with a half a dozen rooms, a restaurant, bar and function suite.
There’s a fence separating the hotel rooms from the aforementioned field, but each hotel room opens onto a walkway that leads back to the flight of steps, taking guests back to street level and the hotel’s bar and restaurant.

The check-in wasn’t the usual smooth affair involving polite, female receptionists handing over the key card and wishing me a pleasant stay. Instead it was a busy pub scenario where I simply announced that I had a reservation. The barman checks a book behind the bar, mentions my name and I said ‘that’s me’ and was handed the key to room three. Then I was led down the aforementioned steps, along the walkway and left to get acclimatised with my surroundings.

I expect a hotel room to have a wardrobe as they come in handy to store clothing, but there isn’t one.  Instead there are a few hooks and – in my case – no clothes hangers. I decided to leave everything in my suitcase.

Next, there’s a privacy issue. Unless I draw flimsy curtains across door and window I have no privacy.

Whenever I stay in a hotel I check out the bathroom and normally I’m pretty impressed. Not today. It was gloomy, a tad dated and made me feel miserable with its beige tiles and dowdy appearance – it just didn’t ‘gleam’. There was no bathtub.

I found towels and soap on the bed and there were a few shampoo sachets.

In effect I’d gone back in time to the mid-to-late-seventies. This feeling was reinforced later in the bar and restaurant when I heard first Procul Harem’s Whiter Shade of Pale and then Hot Chocolate. I could have been in an Aberdeen Steakhouse.

I ordered cream of tomato soup and beef stroganoff, a carafe of wine and a bottle of mineral water. The food was fine – not great – and I couldn’t finish the stroganoff as there was far too much on the plate.

Dinner for two cost 54.60 Euros. My colleague ordered fillet steak, which was also too big to finish and her room had clothes hangers.

I slept relatively well, waking at 0400hrs and then at 0800hrs. Breakfast was poor and served (self service) in the restaurant, which was dark and dingy in the morning light. I chose strawberry yoghurt, a couple of bread rolls and a slice of processed cheese. No tea, just coffee, so I opted for orange juice.
Now you could say this was all pretty miserable. It was. But what you must remember is that I had bed and breakfast for just 47 Euros, which ain’t bad. While I’ve painted a bleak, albeit accurate picture, the right response to reading this review is, “Well what did you expect for 47 Euros?”

Would I return? No, unless I was on a stringent budget. I like things to be a little better quality and I’d happily pay more for it – because I’m on expenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment