Friday 1 December 2017

Sofitel Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – review written 16 March 2015


It’s funny how corporate hotels tend not to appeal until I find myself staying in one, but the Sofitel, which is yards from the famous Copacabana beach, has that little something extra and I’m really glad I found myself there last week on what was my first ever visit to Brazil.

The good stuff started from the moment I checked in, around 9.30pm on Sunday 15th March. Friendly service from the word go is crucial and the Sofitel didn’t disappoint. While I was, apparently, booked to stay on one of the hotel’s lower floors, the guy on the front desk moved me to the sixth floor (I assumed for a better view, not really sure, as the view wasn’t that great). But never mind.

The room was good but there were a few minor annoyances, the first being, well, let’s call it the ‘toilet observation window’. Fortunately I was alone in the room, but had I been, say, forced to share with a work colleague (impossible on this trip as I was travelling alone, but it can happen) then said colleague would be able to watch me answer the call of nature and, bearing in mind that I went down with a dose of the runs, it wouldn’t have been pleasant viewing. The big question from me to the management of the Sofitel Group would be why? Why knock a hole in the wall, put a window in its place and enable others that might be staying in the room to view my most personal of moments? Still, as I say, I was alone so in many ways, the TV was on, but nobody was watching.

Second problem: light switches. There were far too many of them and for most of my stay there was a light on over the mini bar that I couldn’t turn off because I couldn’t find the right switch…until my last day. Instead, I had to resort to turning off the master switch, plunging the room into total darkness.

Third problem: a glass desk can be a major hazard in the dark. With the master switch off, every time I walked to the bathroom I risked banging myself on the side of the desk, which was much harder to see than, say, a wooden one.

Fourth problem: the television didn’t work. I like hotels where, when you switch on the TV, it works; this one didn’t so for my entire stay I didn’t watch any TV. Not a major problem, but worth pointing out.

That’s all the problems, now to the good bits – of which there were many. The first good thing was the WiFi; not only did it work every time, it was fast and it was free. Second good thing was the mini bar – it was full – and the third good thing was the coat hangers in the wardrobe: they were proper ones and it was clear that the hotel trusted its guests. Fourth good thing: the entire room. Well, apart from the aforementioned ‘toilet observation window’ and also, while we’re back on negative points, the wardrobe was a little cramped. But overall I was very impressed and let’s not forget the balcony. In a hot country there’s nowt better, although to revert back once more to another negative point, I wanted to enjoy a cold beer from the minibar on the balcony but couldn’t because there was no bottle opener.

But let’s not beat around the bush. This was a fantastic hotel. The shower was amazing and so was breakfast downstairs in the Atlantico restaurant on the first floor – wow! Wonderful fresh fruits (papaya, mango, melon, guava, orange…you name it) and the lunchtime buffet was amazing too (don’t go for a la carte) and let’s not forget the view of Copacabana Bay.

There are two swimming pools, one round, one square, and a well-equipped gym and if you like a business centre (and who doesn’t?), the Sofitel has a really good one kitted out with comfy sofas, a decent flat-screen TV and the latest international newspapers.

If you want a decent hotel in Rio, stay here, as it’s unforgettable in so many respects. All the staff bar none was at the top of their game – their key qualities being friendliness, helpfulness and, of course, efficiency. Then there’s the location bang on the Copacabana beach. In fact, talking of the beach, the hotel has a selection of sun loungers and umbrellas for guests to enjoy, something I took full advantage of on day one. I even had a swim in the sea, and if you want to go on any trips, ask the concierge as there are many and they all start from the hotel.

This really is an all-singing, all dancing hotel of the highest order, ideal for both business and pleasure. Top marks to the Sofitel, but it must take note of those negative points.

No comments:

Post a Comment