Saturday 2 December 2017

Mercure City Centre, Dusseldorf, Germany – review written 24 April 2017

I'd like to call myself a 'biscuiteer', but having mistaken a small, wrapped block of hard foam designed to clean shoes for some kind of free snack, possibly even a biscuit, I think I’ve seriously failed the entrance examination.

I'm safely ensconced in my room at the Mercure City Center Hotel in Dusseldorf and I thought I'd scout around for freebies. That's when I encountered what I thought was a biscuit. Life can be infuriating. There's not much for free: a sachet of premium peppermint tea, two elongated sachets of instant coffee, some 'Zabielacz de kawy creamer' – that's powdered milk to you and me – and a couple of sachets of sugar. Oh, there's also a bottle of Evian mineral water.

Hoteliers get a little angry when I suggest that a locked minibar means they don't trust their guests, but I hate that unmistakable feeling of exclusion – ‘keep out!’. There's a couple of locked doors, one being a small safe that has been rendered unusable, and the other some kind of fridge, which I'm guessing is either empty or jam-packed with beers and wines and wasabi nuts, but just not for me. I wonder if they thought, 'hold on, we've got Moggridge staying with us, lock the minibar and don't give him access to the mini safe either, he’s got nothing worth nicking'. There must be some kind of policy decision that says 'lock the fridge and the safe and don't leave any keys floating around'. Annoying, yes, but so far I have very little to complain about, apart from trying to find the elevator after I checked in. One of them was out of order so I was directed along a corridor to where I would find another, but I got lost and had to ask for directions. It turned out the lift was up some stairs, on the first floor, so I figured what was the point? I walked instead and soon found room 211, which was absolutely fine. There was a carpeted floor, a single bed, a flatscreen television, power points, a telephone (that worked!) and various leaflets. The bathroom, of which more later, was small but perfectly adequate.

The hotel was under four minutes' walk from Da Bruno, my all-time favourite Italian restaurant (turn left on leaving the hotel and keep walking). I had booked my usual lonely table for one, but advise anybody reading this review to go there, it’s the best.

Breakfast was good, but the surroundings were too white and bright for my liking. There was a glass roof letting in the sun, which was fine. They had everything one might expect from a hotel breakfast offering: sausages, scrambled egg, sautéed potatoes, mushrooms, boiled eggs, cooked meats, a variety of breads, including croissants, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cereals, tea and coffee and fresh fruit juice, not forgetting cake.

Every day (I was here for three nights) I chose a bowl of fresh fruit and a bowl of yoghurt plus a banana, some scrambled egg with sautéed potato and mushrooms and a cup of English breakfast tea. Tea is always such a faff as it is contained in a sachet that needs to be opened – sometimes a big problem – plonked in a cup into which hot water must be poured and so on; that's the problem with self-service, I tend to get fed up with the process.

But I won't complain too loudly about the Mercure City Center because it's a cut above other hotels in its price bracket, so the only causes for complaint that I can see are the locked safe and minibar, the unruly coathangers – you know the ones I mean, not proper hangers with hooks but those you can't get off the rail. Again I find myself thinking that the hotel doesn't trust its guests – they can't trust them to tell the truth when asked "did you use the minibar?" so they lock it; they don't believe their guests will have anything worth putting in a safe, so they lock that too, and because they think their guests will half-inch the coathangers, they provide the unruly variety.

And there were issues with the bathroom too. Well, not the whole bathroom, just the hot water situation, particularly in the shower: it wouldn't warm up and the only way to make it hot enough was to turn the lever in such a way that the flow was severely limited to little more than a dribble; it was the same with the sink tap. It made showering less of a pleasure than it might have been, that's all, but still it's another negative to add to the locked minibar, the locked safe and the unruly coathangers.

The Mercure City Center does have a restaurant, the Four Seasons, adjacent to a small and cosy bar where I enjoyed a couple of dark ales prior to dinner outside of the hotel in my all-time favourite restaurant, Da Bruno. I have, however, experienced dinner at the Mercure and it’s fine.

So, in summary, you can’t really go wrong with the Mercure City Center: it’s close to Da Bruno (an excellent Italian restaurant I have reviewed already), it’s close to Dusseldorf Central Station which is only a short ride from the airport and you’re only a 20-minute stroll from the Alt Stadt, or old town with its many bars and restaurants, not forgetting the shops.


Lastly, of course, there’s free WiFi and if you haven’t got a computer there’s one close to the front desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment